Monday, October 8, 2012

Gratinato di patate e formaggio (Cheesy Potato Bake)

The occupation and the activity

Today I made Gratinato di patate e formaggio or known as cheesy potato bake. It links to italian cooking as it is a easy recipe that the whole family will love. Making cheesy potato bake would be classified as necessity as it would come under cooking and learning. I am using this recipe to learn to cook italian food however to italian people it may have a different meaning.

The occupation and identity

The routines that are linked to italian cooking are that it would be done for a reason, to make food, normally for lunch or dinner. Food is normally made by the woman as they are cooks while the men are the breadwinners. However any person in the family can make food. I would classify this occupation as leisure and also neccessity as it is something I do in my spare time but also it is necessary for me to learn to cook so i can make myself food to eat.

Technical aspects

Materials used :

1kg Potatos
some butter to grease dish
200gram Cheese
2 eggs, eaten
salt and pepper
a little grated nutmeg
100ml fresh cream
100ml milk
sprinkle of thyme

Equipment needed :

Oven
Spoon/potato peeler
cheese grater
measuring cup
Bowl
Baking dish
Chopping board
Sharp knife

All resources were accessed from supermarket or from home.

How to make potato bake

1) Preheat oven to 200degrees
2) Peel potatos and slice into rounds approx 3mm thick
3) Grease ovenproof dish with butter and line it with layer of potato slices slightly overlapping
each other. Sprinkle some grated cheese, thyme and season with salt, pepper. Top with another layer of potato and continue until all your ingrediants have finished keeping aside a handful of cheese.
4) In a bowl, combine with milk, cream, beaten eggs, a little salt/pepper and the nutmeg. Pour this mixture over the layered potatos, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake in the oven for 40miutes until golden.



























The environment

I learned the occupation in my home in the kitchen. Others are able to learn this occupation in cooking classes, other peoples homes and kitchens. Any activity is more fun to do with another person, I find its more motivating to have other people to cook with. Cooking is very educational and social and you can learn more if you help or watch someone else.














Learning occupation

Instructions are above. The only risk with cooking, you just have to be careful when cutting the potatos with the knife, as you wouldn't want to cut yourself. You just need to be aware of what you are doing, and taking precautions to protect yourself from injury.
Some tips are - not to add to much cheese, as it will taste very rich, make sure you dont add to much salt or pepper as it will taste bad ! and to plan your time, as it takes along time to cook once in oven.

Participation barriers and affordances

I found that having time and being hungry really assisted my participation in making this dish. Plus finding a new recipe which sounds delicious really makes you want to make it and see how it turns out. I had a picture to do by but I wondered if my dish would look as good as the picture too ! The barriers I encountered was needing to get all the ingrediants, as most of the ingrediants I did not have in the house hold. Having money to be able to buy the ingrediants helped otherwise it would not have been possible to make this dish.

Personal reflections

Today I learnt how to make cheesy potato bake and to be prepared, make sure you have all the ingrediants and make sure you plan what time to start so you know what time it will be cooked and ready by. I am definely satisfied with my learning as I am becoming more confident with my cooking and am starting to really enjoy it ! There is so much still to learn, and I would love to try adding some meat or other ingrediants and see how that turns out. I will definely continue my cooking and want to expand my knowledge !

No comments:

Post a Comment