Saturday, October 20, 2012

Frittata de verdure al forno

The occupation and the activity

Today I made frittata de verdure al forno, also known as baked vegetable omelette. This occupation is classified under italian cooking. Relevant taxonomies would be challenge, and leisure. The reason why people cook is for necessity, I classify cooking as a necessity, if i didnt cook I wouldnt have anything to eat for dinner. Food has a meaning to different cultures, it is meaningful to make dinner for your family in some cultures. And hundreds of years ago, cooking was done as a necessity.

The occupation and identity

Cooking has so many roles, routines and norms. It was the norm for woman to cook dinner for their husbands, however over time this is changed and now either person can cook dinner while the other person is the breadwinner. Cooking has formal recognition is the form of tv shows like Master Chef, and Jamie Olivers food shows. I identify the occupation has a leisure activity and also as a challenge, as I have not really cooked much before.Cooking is very expressive and alot of expression can be shown through cooking.

Technical Aspects

Materials Used :

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
50grm butter
150grm frozen peas
6 eggs
150grm cheese, finely chopped
salt and pepper

Equipment used :

Spoon/whisk/fork
Bowl
Microwave
Oven
chopping board
knife
ovenproof dish
baking paper

How to make :

Preheat oven to 180 degree
Microwave peas until peas have softened (2-3mins)
Remove from microwave and allow to cool slightly
In a bowl, beat eggs, with some salt and pepper, stir in the cheese
and the cooled vegetables
Lightly grease an ovenproof dish, with some butter, pour in the mixture and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25minutes until the omelette has set and is golden
Remove from oven, leave to rest for a minute and serve hot or cold

Environment

I learnt this occupation in my own home as it was easiest and quickest. However you can learn this occupation anywhere as long as you have the resources and the equipment. In regards to physical environment you just need the equipment and resources. Cooking is a very educational occupation where you learn from doing and seeing. Cooking used to be done for necessity hundreds of years ago however now it has become more of a social occupation as well, people do it with friends and family and have competitions. Cooking is not just a individual occupation, it is also a group occupation and I would prefer to cook with someone else as it gives that little bit more motivation.

Learning the occupation

Instructions are posted above. The risks when doing this recipe are just to be careful when chopping the cheese with sharp knife, otherwise not really many other risks. The tips are to use the microwave to cook the vegetables, as it is faster and more effective. Making sure you measure out your ingrediants precisely is a biggie. This recipe is great if you have left overs in the fridge that you need to get rid of and is easy to make

Participation barriers and affordances

I was assisted in participating in this activity by my boyfriend and the fact that I was hungry and I had promised to make dinner. Having seen a picture of what I was making from the cookbook I really wanted to try and see if I could make mine look like that ! The barriers I encountered were not having all the ingrediants, I didnt have spinach so we went without and it still worked out well. Also not knowing what different cheeses were, it asked for different cheeses but I just used edam cheese instead.

Personal reflection

From this recipe I learnt to go with the flow and not to fuss over the fact that I didnt have all the ingrediants that were stated in the cookbook. I am super satisfied with what I learnt, I had so much fun making it and it wasnt time consuming. I want to keep involved in this activity as I really enjoy it !

No comments:

Post a Comment